Can’t afford your child support? It’s time for a modification

As you go through the divorce process, you look forward to the day when you can finally get your life back on track. Even though things are sure to change, you know that this is the best way to regain control of your life and feel better about what the future will bring.

Unfortunately, you may find yourself in a difficult position with regard to child support. If the court orders you to pay child support, there is no way around this. Instead, you should know the exact amount that is due as well as the date by which your ex-spouse should receive the money.

You may not enjoy paying child support, but at least you know the money is going toward providing your child with a better life.

However, something could happen in the future. You could find that you are no longer able to pay your child support in full. Some of the circumstances that can lead to this include: job loss, pay cut at work or a serious illness.

If you can no longer afford to make your child support payment, it’s time for a modification. Here are some tips for getting started:

  • Don’t delay in making your first move. Once you know you’re unable to make your next payment in full, take the first step in receiving a modification.
  • Learn more about your options. You don’t have the legal right to simply stop making payments. Instead, there are laws in place that govern how to request and receive a modification.
  • Speak with your ex-spouse. Could a conversation with your former spouse open the door to a modification? This person may agree to a modification without going to court.
  • Pay as much money as you can. Even if you can’t afford to make full payments, send as much money as possible. This will ensure that you don’t fall too far behind.
  • File your request. As quickly as possible, you want to file your request with the appropriate court.

By following these tips, you’ll find yourself in position to receive a child support modification. Since there is no guarantee that the court will agree with your request, you may want to consult with a family law attorney. This person can craft your modification request to improve the likelihood of approval.