Helping You Avoid Key Mistakes In Divorce
A divorce can not only be heart-wrenching, but also complicated. Now that you have decided to pursue separation or divorce, it is crucial to get matters in order, while also avoiding key mistakes. One of the first things you need to do is retain an experienced family law attorney.
At The Law Offices of Robert W. Dapelo, Esq., PC, in Patchogue, New York, I have more than 30 years of experience guiding clients going through divorce. Knowledgeable, personable and thorough, I will make sure you take the right steps to complete your divorce and avoid any mistakes.
Making The Right Decisions
An attorney like me understands the legal process and will explain what needs to be done. Sometimes, though, people going through a divorce have clouded judgment. Here are some key divorce mistakes to avoid:
- A “do-it-yourself” divorce: Saving money and avoiding the legal system are among the reasons some pursue this. It is not a good idea. A family law attorney will make sure you are not being taken advantage of in matters such as child custody, child support and division of assets.
- Litigation: It is costly and often a waste of money. You may be able to achieve the same results through mediation or negotiation.
- Hiding assets: Do not do this. If you have investments and bank accounts that your spouse does not know about, disclose this information. Hiding assets is illegal, according to disclosure laws.
- Not moving on from sentiment: Do not insist you want to keep the house or additional property simply because of the memories you made there. You are now likely living in a one-income household. Can you afford these payments? You need to take a hard look at the numbers.
- Maintaining joint credit card accounts: It is wise to close them. If you do not, your soon-to-be former spouse may still be using the account, ultimately making you liable for any debt. Creditors are not bound by any divorce agreement.
My law firm has helped hundreds of clients successfully navigate their divorces. Let me provide the advice and assistance you need, too.
Get A Free Consultation Now
If you are going through a divorce, you need a knowledgeable and experienced law firm to help you avoid making any key mistakes. Turn to The Law Offices of Robert W. Dapelo, Esq., PC, in Patchogue, New York. I build relationships and am available for consultation in Nassau and Suffolk counties and Long Island. I offer free consultations, so please contact me via email or call 631-654-9500. Se habla español.